Let’s Start Playing More Offense with Our Health
I was reading an article this week in the Detroit Free Press by Kristen Jordan Shamus, discussing how the Henry Ford Health System is leading a large-scale U.S. study on the effects of using the drug hydroxychloroquine to prevent the coronavirus among health care workers and first responders.
The drug Hydroxychloroquine is used to treat malaria, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and is thought to possibly reduce the amount of virus in a person’s body, along with affecting the immune system’s response to COVID-19?
The study is to include 3,000 people to see whether treating them with Hydroxychloroquine can keep them from being sickened by the Coronavirus. Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan stated, “we’re going to be fighting the coronavirus for months and we need tools to fight back!"
I understand we are all looking for ways to fight back, and treating people with Hydroxychloroquine may be one way to do this? But, the side effects of taking this medication include; headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, weight gain, hair loss, mood changes, irritability, possible liver and kidney damage. Perhaps not the solution we are looking for?
We all need to do our part during this pandemic—social distancing—washing our hands—wearing a face mask—everyone needs to do their part in helping to prevent the spread of this deadly virus. Currently, we do not have a vaccine for the COVID-19 virus. However, there may be something else we can all do to protect ourselves and decrease the spread of this deadly virus simply by building a strong immune system. Let’s start with a few questions?
What is the immune system and how does it work?
Our immune system protects us from outside invaders—it is like a suit of armor, the stronger the armor, the more difficult it is for invaders to penetrate our body. Our immune system is a defense system that looks out for you—standing guard to unwanted invaders. Our immune system learns from the past—growing up playing in the dirt or going to school for the first time—our bodies become subjected to outside invaders and the body slowly builds up the immune system, creating a bank of protection. This is similar to how vaccines work—they turn on your immune system by slowly introducing your body to a tiny amount of a virus. The body then makes antibodies in response to protect you from diseases like measles, polio, whooping cough, the flu, and meningitis.
What can YOU do to Optimize YOUR Immune System?
I understand the amazing advances that have been developed over the years as it pertains to our health as well as our continued pursuit for more wonderful medical breakthroughs. But, let us not forget the power of the human body in its ability to heal and protect itself. Imagine if you had the formula to help ward off intruders and make your mind and body stronger. Would you be willing to stand in line for this protection?
Now is the time to take more control over your health and learn how to build and optimize your greatest protector—YOUR immune system! Are you ready to start playing more offense with our health.
10 Ways to Optimize YOUR Immune System
- Drink half your body weight in ounces per day
- Water increases energy and helps detoxify the body
2. Sleep 8 Hours
- 8 hours of sleep is a powerful way for the body to build and heal
- Perfect time to work on your sleep habits
3. Daily Movement
- Move your body daily, motion creates positive emotion
- Healthy Heart, Lungs, Muscles, Bones, Hormones, Digestion
- Get outside everyday for at least 5-10 minutes
- Vitamin D is essential for optimal health
- Frozen wheatgrass, spirulina/chlorella, spinach, broccoli
- Greens are high in chlorophyll, nucleic acid, vitamins and minerals
- Great for a healthy gut leading to a healthier immune system
6. Omega 3 Fats
- Cod liver oil, flaxseeds, chia seeds, salmon
- Essential for a healthy brain, heart, decreases inflammation, hormonal health
- Cod liver oil is high in vitamin D3, E, A—all key for a healthy immune system
7. Use the Food Target
- Whole foods—healthy carbs, proteins, and fats
- Garlic, ginger, hemp seeds, cacao Nibs, red peppers, lemons, clementine’s, almonds, Brazil nuts, ancient Grains, kiwi, vegetables, turmeric, vitamins C, B6, E all play a large role in optimizing your immune system
- Eat closer to the SOURCE
8. Belly or Diaphragmatic Breathing
- Take a 30-second breathing break
- Belly breathing relaxes the body and mind for optimal REST & DIGEST
- The diaphragm is a powerful muscle that increases the amount of oxygen delivered to the mind and body and gets stronger with practice.
9. White Space
- Take time to step back and develop more space in your life
- Walking in nature, epsom salt bath, foam roller, massage, stretch, listen to music and play
- Give yourself the gift of space to recover and enjoy your life!
10. Practicing Gratitude, Acts of Kindness and Love
- Hard to be stressed our upset when practicing gratitude and acts of kindness
- Love is our most powerful emotion
We are all in this pandemic together and it is a perfect time to work on you and your health. YOU have the POWER!
Chris Johnson, CEO & Founder of On Target Living